I know, I know, I’ve been MIA for awhile now. But I’ve been bust busy busy!
1. I went to Canada! Montreal and Quebec City to be exact. Quebec City was beautiful. I took lots of pictures but still can’t get them off my camera and onto my computer. I really want to go back in the winter. I think with snow there, it will feel like I’m actually inside a snow globe.
2. I was house-sitting and dog-sitting for a week. My aunt and uncle were out of town so I stayed at their house to watch their two dogs. One of their dogs is wonderful, he is so well behaved and chill. The other dog is hyper and high maintenance. After watching them for a week, I realized that I am not ready to have a dog of my own.
3. I turned 24! I was seriously terrified to turn 24. I was not about it at all. Year 23 was full of challenges and new things that I wasn’t ready for, but I feel that I grew so much during the last year. I was a little scared that all of that would stop once I turned 24. I don’t know what I was thinking because now I realize that was crazy. My actual birthday day was great! The weather was beautiful, I spent most of it outside, and I got more than I could have ever asked for. I now think year 24 might be a good one too!
4. I’ got my hair done! I’ve only had my hair dyed professionally once and I’ve been dying it for about 10 years now. My hair is fairly curly but lately it was been a mess. There was been these weird straight pieces, its frizzier than usual, and basically its just not cooperating. I decided to start year 24 by treating myself to a grown up haircut/style/color. So off to my mom’s hairdresser I went. And I am so glad I did. She confirmed what I already knew – my hair was a mess. So after two deep conditioning treatments, highlights, low lights, and serious haircut, my hair is back to looking mostly normal. I couldn’t get over how curly it got again! I am still staring at it every time I look in the mirror.
5. I’ve been eating out a lot. When I came back from house-sitting, there was no food in the house. We went out to dinner for my birthday. We ordered pizza because it was Friday. We picked up dinner at Wegmans because we were all tired. I was seriously ready for a home cooked meal.
My neighbors gave us some eggplants from a friend’s garden. I’ve never made eggplant before but wanted to use it while it was still good. I’m planning on making chicken parm meatballs this week, so eggplant parm was not an option. When I looked up ‘eggplant recipes’ I found this one for eggplant lasagna. It ended up being perfect because I had most of the ingredients and it seemed easy to make!
- 1 cup tomatoes
- 1 garlic clove
- olive oil
- 2 eggplants, cut about 1/2 inch thick
- 1 cup ricotta
- 1 egg
- 1 Tbsp dried basil
- Parmesan cheese
In food processor, puree tomatoes, garlic, and 1 Tbsp olive oil. Cut eggplant into strips and place on baking sheet. Drizzle with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. In two batches, broil until charred and tender, about 3 minutes per side. In a small bowl, combine ricotta, egg, and basil. In a small baking dish, layer the lasagna – half of tomato mixture, one third of eggplant, half of ricotta mixture, one third of eggplant, half of ricotta mixture, one third egg plant, half of tomato mixture. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Bake at 400 degrees for 15-20 minutes, until it bubbles. Let rest 10 minutes before eating.
While the picture makes it look like one big slop, this lasagna was delicious! I even went back for seconds, which I try not to do. I wish the eggplants that I used were a little longer, but other than that everything worked out great. I did add some mozzarella to the top of the lasagna. My family is full of cheese lovers! I will definitely be making this recipe again.